Ready to shop for back-to-school supplies, but worried about the impact it’s going to have on your wallet? We’re here to help. In this blog, we share five easy ways you can save on school supplies this back-to-school season.
5 Ways to Save on School Supplies
1. Use Browser Extensions
When shopping for school supplies online, using browser extensions can help you save money. These extensions integrate with your web browser and automatically apply coupons, discounts, or cashback offers at checkout.
Some popular browser extensions that can help you save money when shopping for school supplies online include:
Remember to check reviews before installing any extension to ensure it’s from a reputable source.
2. Buy in Bulk
Buying school supplies in bulk can significantly lower the cost per unit and reduce the need for frequent purchases. This approach works best for frequently used supplies like notebooks, pens, or pencils.
Before making purchases in bulk, consider your available storage space and actual needs. Buying in bulk can save you money, but if you don’t have enough storage space or won’t use all the items it may not be the most practical choice.
3. Shop Online
You get access to a wider range of retailers and marketplaces when shopping online, which gives you the chance to find competitive deals to save on school supplies.
Popular online retailers like Amazon, Walmart, Target, and Staples usually offer special deals during back-to-school season. Take advantage of back-to-school promotions on their websites to help find discounted school supplies.
Here are some benefits online shopping offers when it comes to purchasing school supplies:
- Easily compare prices across different websites to get the best deal.
- Read reviews from other customers to help you make informed decisions about the quality of the school supplies.
- Save time by shopping for school supplies from the comfort of your own home.
When shopping for school supplies online, you should be mindful of shipping costs and delivery times; they can affect the overall cost of your purchases.
4. Use a Cash-Back Credit Card
Another way to save money on school supplies is by using cash-back credit cards.
For example, if a card offers 2% cash back, for every $100 you spend on school supplies, you would earn $2 in cash back. The accumulated cash-back rewards can be redeemed for statement credits, direct deposits, or other rewards the credit card issuer offers.
To maximize your savings, research and compare different credit card options – check for higher cash-back percentages and additional benefits or rewards programs. Choose a card that aligns with your spending habits and preferences, but keep an eye on annual fees or specific requirements.
Some cards may also have rewards programs that provide extra incentives for specific spending categories, like office supplies or online purchases.
5. Buy Generic Brands
Choosing generic brands for school supplies can be a cost-effective alternative to well-known name brands. Many generic options offer comparable quality and functionality at a lower price.
To ensure the performance and durability of generic brands, read reviews and compare prices before making your decision. Opt for products that meet your needs and can withstand regular use.
When Do School Supplies Come Out?
School supplies come to stores in the weeks leading up to the back-to-school season – usually from late July to early August. The exact timing may change depending on the region and specific store. Keep an eye out for advertisements or check with local retailers for precise information about the availability of school supplies in your area.
What’s the Most Purchased Back-to-School Item?
Basic stationery supplies like pencils, pens, notebooks, rulers, erasers, highlighters, and folders are some of the most frequently purchased back-to-school items. These essentials are commonly needed by students across different grade levels and are often at the top of back-to-school shopping lists.
How Can I Find the Best Deals on School Supplies?
Finding the best deals on school supplies can help you save money during the back-to-school season. Here are some bonus tips to help you find great deals:
- Sign up for newsletters and alerts. Subscribe to newsletters and email alerts from stores and online retailers. They often send out notifications about sales, promotions, and discounts on school supplies.
- Check weekly ads. Keep an eye on weekly ads from local stores, especially those that specialize in school supplies or offer back-to-school promotions. Look for deals, coupons, and special offers in these ads.
- Shop off-season. If possible, plan ahead and purchase school supplies during off-season sales. This could mean buying supplies at the end of the previous school year or taking advantage of post-back-to-school clearance sales for the following year.
- Check online marketplaces and secondhand options. Explore online marketplaces and secondhand options for school supplies. Sometimes, gently used or pre-owned items can be found at a significantly lower cost. Just ensure that the quality and condition of the items meet your requirements.
Bottom Line: Save on School Supplies
There are several ways to save on school supplies. Using browser extensions, buying in bulk, shopping online, using cash-back credit cards, and opting for generic brands can all help reduce costs. Plus, seeking out the best deals through newsletters, ads, off-season sales, and online marketplaces can further optimize savings.